I have a problem, I love fabric! I am ashamed to say that I have a hell of a stash! Considering that I have only been quilting for 3 years, I have more than enough fabric to quilt with for the next few years. I have tried to reduce the number of purchases, but I admit it – I am weak. I am good for about a week, and then I find a sale and my resolve is gone. I am a bargain shopper, but really I don’t need that much fabric and some of will never be used by me. So here goes…
I am joining Making Rebecca Lynne’s Fabriholics Anonymous challenge.
– To use the Stash I already have!
– Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
– Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
– Save the money I spend on stashing.
– Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
▪ Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
▪ Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too.
▪ Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!
▪ Quilts for Publication: if you are making a quilt for a publication and need certain fabric to execute it correctly then that is a major exception – who can blame you?
Gretchen’s Concession to the rules:
- I will be allowed to buy fabric for binding and backings. I have been pretty good about buying backing and binding, so I don’t see myself purchasing much. So I am hoping that my stash has the necessary fabric, but if not.
- I will be allowed to purchase fabric to finish projects. There are a few WIPs that need a little more yardage (like a border) that I will allow myself to purchase.
- I will be allowed to purchase bolts of my background fabrics like white, gray, snow, cream, red, and black as necessary. I currently am well stocked, but I may need to replenish. However, I must use a coupon to purchase it.
- I will be allowed to purchase fabric for a commission. (if that ever happens!!)
- If I sell any fabric on ebay, I will be allowed to use that money to purchase new fabric.
As I write this I am feeling a bit crazy! Can I really do this?!?!?! I am hoping that instead of spending time shopping for fabric, I will use the time to write blog posts.