WIP #2 Tula Pink 100 Modern Blocks – Updated!!!

WIP #4 Tula Pink 100 Modern Blocks Updated

ImageProxy.mvc

My blog pictures truly don’t do the quilt justice.  Check them out on Flickr!

Tula Pink 100 Modern Blocks Gridlock in The Birds and the Bees

The original post is here.

I finally finished my 100 block quilt top together last night at 10:00.  I was fortunate enough to have had Monday off of work due to blizzard conditions and arctic weather.   It wasn’t fit for man nor beast out there!  That meant that I had plenty of time to sew, while watching tv and movies.

I knew on Friday that there would be no school, so I had the entire weekend to off to finish my 100 blocks quilt done.   The blog post and pictures have to be linked by January 31st.  But instead of working on the quilt, I decided this was the weekend to organize my sewing room.  The space was driving me crazy.  It was disorganized, there were piles of random fabrics and projects everywhere, and I struggled to find a few things.  Plus my design wall had arrived!!  I will reveal the results soon as I get the design wall up.

So, Monday rolled around and my quilt was still in the block stage and the deadline was looming.  I was able to devote my day to completing my quilt.  I am still not good about judging how much time it will take to put everything together.  I put the right block sashing on all of the blocks.  I got the first 4 rows together and then remembered that there were a couple blocks that needed “something”.   I didn’t like the color scheme, the block didn’t fit into the layout, or had too many of one color.  There were 3 blocks that I re-made.   The challenge was to make them fit in the rows that I didn’t have sashing on or sewn together.  It went quickly, but you have to be organized enough to not mess up the sequence.  Once all 10 rows were put together, I was able to put the bottom sashing on quickly.  It was lining up all of the rows so the block were aligned vertically was a bit time consuming – lots of pinning.

IMG_1168

The final border was simple enough, but I had the intention of creating a 2nd border of all the different fabrics in the Tula Pink Birds and Bees line.  I wanted a little something more to set it apart from the typical Gridlock layout that is in the book.  I had the 3.5 inch squares cut and was piecing them together.  As I was laying out the border, it appeared to me to be too busy.  If I had the time, and I may still if I don’t win, I would like to add a 2nd border but have the blocks transition according to the colors change across the quilt.  Final decision was made because it was 10 p.m. and I had to work next day and I had to have the quilt done by Wednesday.  My quilt models were available Wednesday afternoon.  I have a dr. appointment Thursday.  Contest closes Friday.    My husband who is usually my quilt model is working strange hours due to snow and hasn’t been around during day light hours.

Thank you to my hardy models!  It was 20 degrees out and windy.  They were very patient as I waited out the wind to take the pictures.  They were just happy that they weren’t knee deep in the snow like me.

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced on WIP Wednesday.

Linking up with Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday.

Aside | This entry was posted in Quilting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to WIP #2 Tula Pink 100 Modern Blocks – Updated!!!

1. Kathy says:

Wow! That is gorgeous! Congratulations on such a magnificent finish!

2. lynnema says:

Great job! I love the rainbow effect. I also have had days off from school due to weather…great sewing days!

3. Beth says:

Stunning! Really, really lovely. I don’t think I will ever dedicate time to make one, but yours is awesome.

4. Jo says:

Wow indeed! What a great finish! Well done.

5. knitnkwilt says:

I can identify with the last minute rush and doing something else first…glad you got it finished. It looks great.

6. Debbie says:

Terrific photo or not – we can certainly tell what an awesome quilt this is! If you do decide to add a border, I hope to see that too. Lovely.

7. msminnesota says:

Congratulations on finishing it – I think that’s quite an accomplishment.

8. oh my goodness, this quilt is absolutely stunning! I LOVE it!

Thanks so much for linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

9. Marie says:

Absolutely fabulous quilt Congratulations !!!

10. Jane says:

Fantastic finish!
    I’ve been reorganising the sewing room too… it’s an epic task but feels so good when it’s done.

11. charlotte m. says:

Came here from Crazy Mom’s. Wonderful job. You should be proud. That is a lot of work. I just got the book for Christmas and I am in awe of anyone who finishes this! Good Luck!

12. lindahanafee says:

WOW! That is just a super quilt! I have that book too and have made some of the blocks – but not all of them by any stretch. I really think I need to just make them all. Your quilt is quite inspirational!!

13. Pingback: My Sewing Space – Messy Messy Messy | My Pieced Life: Like a quilt, life is a pieced work of art.

14. Ana says:

It’s beautiful! Do you now aproxximately how much fabric did you use? I want to start this but I’m not in the US so I want to make one big order online

• Sorry for delay getting back to you, Ana! I’ve been away from technology for a few days. I started the quilt with a fat quarter bundle of the Tula’s Birds and the Bees and a fat quarter bundle of coordinating solids. I purchased the solids off Etsy. For the larger Birds and the Bees prints, I had a yard of each for fussy cutting (Ex: meteor showers, squirrels, trees). If there is a print that you really like, order more of it! You will want to use it all of the time. Enjoy the process! I really felt the 100 Modern Blocks really challenged me. In a good way! Please keep me updated on your progress. I would love to see the finished result!