WIP #4 Tula Pink 100 Modern Blocks Updated
My blog pictures truly don’t do the quilt justice. Check them out on Flickr!
The original post is here.
I finally finished my 100 block quilt top together last night at 10:00. I was fortunate enough to have had Monday off of work due to blizzard conditions and arctic weather. It wasn’t fit for man nor beast out there! That meant that I had plenty of time to sew, while watching tv and movies.
I knew on Friday that there would be no school, so I had the entire weekend to off to finish my 100 blocks quilt done. The blog post and pictures have to be linked by January 31st. But instead of working on the quilt, I decided this was the weekend to organize my sewing room. The space was driving me crazy. It was disorganized, there were piles of random fabrics and projects everywhere, and I struggled to find a few things. Plus my design wall had arrived!! I will reveal the results soon as I get the design wall up.
So, Monday rolled around and my quilt was still in the block stage and the deadline was looming. I was able to devote my day to completing my quilt. I am still not good about judging how much time it will take to put everything together. I put the right block sashing on all of the blocks. I got the first 4 rows together and then remembered that there were a couple blocks that needed “something”. I didn’t like the color scheme, the block didn’t fit into the layout, or had too many of one color. There were 3 blocks that I re-made. The challenge was to make them fit in the rows that I didn’t have sashing on or sewn together. It went quickly, but you have to be organized enough to not mess up the sequence. Once all 10 rows were put together, I was able to put the bottom sashing on quickly. It was lining up all of the rows so the block were aligned vertically was a bit time consuming – lots of pinning.
The final border was simple enough, but I had the intention of creating a 2nd border of all the different fabrics in the Tula Pink Birds and Bees line. I wanted a little something more to set it apart from the typical Gridlock layout that is in the book. I had the 3.5 inch squares cut and was piecing them together. As I was laying out the border, it appeared to me to be too busy. If I had the time, and I may still if I don’t win, I would like to add a 2nd border but have the blocks transition according to the colors change across the quilt. Final decision was made because it was 10 p.m. and I had to work next day and I had to have the quilt done by Wednesday. My quilt models were available Wednesday afternoon. I have a dr. appointment Thursday. Contest closes Friday. My husband who is usually my quilt model is working strange hours due to snow and hasn’t been around during day light hours.
Thank you to my hardy models! It was 20 degrees out and windy. They were very patient as I waited out the wind to take the pictures. They were just happy that they weren’t knee deep in the snow like me.
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced on WIP Wednesday.
Linking up with Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday.