Vice Versa Block of the Month

You may have noticed the Vice Versa Block of the Month link button on my blog.   Gen X Quilters is hosting the Vice Versa Block of the Month Quilt Along.  It is now March and I have yet to complete a block.  I have been putting the blocks off as I finished other projects and started a few more.  Once again, I am not project monogamous!

BOM20141_zps370a163f

There were a few circumstances that led to the delay.  I usually purchase fabric with a pattern in mind, choose then decide on a backing at a later date.  This is the 2nd time I have done this – both time used solids for the quilt top.  (The first time was a test pattern quilt for Terry Atkinson’s Tortilla Strips with Ellen Lucketts’ Quilt Block).  I was waffling on my fabric choice, so I got a second opinion.  My husband gave it the thumbs down, which (in my mind) allowed me to purchase different fabric.  I changed my backing fabric, which then led to changing the solid colors for the front.  I had big plans to complete the January and February blocks at the quilt retreat.  Due to ugly winter weather, my fabric didn’t arrive in time.

tula_pink_acacia_pineapple_slices_in_sugar

I based my solid colors off of the color scheme of Tula Pink’s Acacia Pineapple Slices Sugar.  The backing has a great neutral tan, which allows the colors to really show.  I did some color matching with my handy Moda Bella Solids and Kona Solids color cards

I am using:

IMG_1333

IMG_1329

IMG_1335

The dark purple was purchased at my local quilt store.  I didn’t write down the manufacturer or color.  This fabric will also be used as my binding.

From top to bottom, the other colors are:

• Moda Bella Solid Turquoise
  • Moda Bella Amelia Green
  • Moda Bella Solid Peony
  • Kona Petunia

So I have officially started!!  I started with the February blocks.  No real reason why, I just did.

January:

image

February:

image

March:

image

Maybe it is easier to do a few blocks at a time.  Or it could be that I just have to get in the mindset be more consistent about monthly projects.   I still have 4 blocks left for the Fat Quarter Shop 2013-14 Designer Mystery Block of the Month.  Once that is complete, I will only be working on the Vice Versa Block of the Month.

image

Seems like I am in a purple phase.  Orchid is the Pantone Color of the Year.   Does that mean I am actually following the trends using purple?  I like to think that I have always been a purple fan.  The first car that I bought was purple – this could just be nostalgia.

I am linking up with Lee’s WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  Thanks for hosting Lee!

Also linking up with Kelly’s Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation!

This entry was posted in Quilt Alongs, Quilting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Vice Versa Block of the Month

1. quiltykanuck says:

What a beautiful color palette. I’ve been managing to get the blocks done every month, but it takes me a while. I find myself getting pulled away so I usually break it apart in pieces : cutting, HSTs (she’s had quite a few in the February and March blocks), putting together. Here is my final result : http://familyfaithfoodfabric.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/to-do-tuesday-march-25-2014/ It,s nice to see it come together! 🙂

2. knitnkwilt says:

I love your color choice (and placement). The black is a perfect accent. The vice versa sampler is a clever variation, and yours especially so.

• Thank you for checking out my blocks! The black is actually a dark, deep purple. It is so hard to take pictures that truly reflect the brilliant colors. It is going to be hard to wait for each month’s instructions.

• knitnkwilt says:

Between lighting, camera, and computer screens, it is hard to do color! I have learned that when selecting fabric online too. It is the dark, dark that is working–and purple fills that role too.

3. msminnesota says:

Congrats on whipping out 3 month’s worth. By time I return from my travels the April pattern will be out and I will do March & April together.

4. Kate says:

This looks great! I love that you’re using all solids, really draws attention to the vice versa aspect. Love that backing fabric as well. Great job!

5. wombatquilts says:

I love the colour scheme… so soft but interesting.

6. Shaping up to be a stunner!! Love the colour choices. The blocks just pop right off the screen XX

7. Janeen says:

Love the colors beautiful.

8. I love your color choices, and the Tula inspiration piece 🙂 And I’m curious about this purple car…

9. Kymberly says:

Love your color choices. I usually hunt for a backing fabric once the top is complete, but this is so perfect for the vice versa. The blocks are great!

10. Jasmine says:

Such beautiful blocks. I would have a hard time waiting for the next set of instructions.

11. your vice versa blocks look so amazing! I have to say that February’s block is my favorite!

Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

12. The Sassy Quilter says:

Love these colors you are working with! Way to get it done. I always like I have a whole month to do a block and then all of a sudden the month is gone. I am two months behind on the Sugar Blocks:)