2015 Finish #11: Modern Illusion Blocks

This quilt came quite quickly!  I started the quilt in February 2015 and was able to bring it to the long-arm appointment in March.  My husband chose the backing, Raspberry Minky!  I was all about a grey backing, but he was a fan of the minky!

IMG_3159

I chose a mod-century pattern for the blocks.  The name of the pattern is Mid-Century pattern by Urban Elementz.

IMG_3157

IMG_3158

There was a slight glitch with my long arm quilting.  I got a bit too cocky and moved a little fast.  Here is a moment on the blog that isn’t part of the highlight reel that sheds light on the truth!  The minky, fluffy batting, and the quilt top were a bit slippery.  My batting has a fold in it.  I noticed it after 2 rows.  I was too lazy to take out the 2 rows.  It would have only been 2 half rows, but I was tired.  So, the quilt is a bit wonky.

SAM_0363

Lesson learned!  In hindsight, I should have taken out the 2 rows!  Julie was still quilting, and I had plenty of time!  What that did was throw the alignment off of the quilting pattern.  So I spent all this time piecing a quilt and then just called it in when it came to the quilting.  UGH!

My worrying and regret was for naught!  The good news is that when I took pictures, you can’t really tell!  You have to look for the error!  What a relief!!

SAM_0366

SAM_0368

SAM_0364

SAM_0373 The scrappy binding is a new experience!

SAM_0370

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts’ Finish It Up Friday!  Thanks for hosting Amanda Jean!

Don’t forget to sign up for my Sew Mama Sew’s Giveaway Day Fat Quarter Bundle.  All you have to do is comment telling me your favorite fabric.  Contest is open until 7 p.m. CST Sunday, May 10th.

This entry was posted in 2015 Finishes, Quilting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to 2015 Finish #11: Modern Illusion Blocks

1. It looks perfect, you could never tell there was ever an issue! I bet it’s so snugly too!

2. What a pretty, pretty quilt! Great work!

3. Jayne says:

I’m so glad to see this quilt again! Its gorgeous and I love the quilting. I think you were brave to use Minky…I have never gone there! Well done, beautiful finish!

4. wendy says:

I looks great, I certainly can’t see the error from here. I love the shadowy pattern of the blocks.

5. Mari says:

Ooooh, pretty! Love the pieced top and the raspberry was perfect for the back. Bet it’s very snuggly!

6. Wow, this is just so cool. I’ve never heard of that pattern before. And I’m impressed that you’re willing to “let go”, and let your husband choose the back 🙂

7. Ann says:

Great choice – I have a few with minky on the back and they are fantastic! I put silk batting with them and so they are warm for winter and have a fabulous drape!

8. Snowcatcher says:

Gorgeous, bright and cheery, and looks great to me!

9. Linda says:

Beautiful, and I can’t see the error.

10. Carie says:

I genuinely cannot tell that there is a fold! I think it looks absolutely wonderful and it must be so snuggly under that minky!

11. LisaLeese says:

I love the design of the quilt and the quilting!

12. Terri says:

The quilt design you chose is perfect for the pieced top. Nice quilt!

13. Eva says:

Love your quilting – looks so space like 🙂 The illusion blocks are great, too!

14. Lea says:

Minky is not very cooperative, but oh, so cuddly. This is a delightful quilt!