20 minutes a day….

In November of 2014, I was diagnosed with lupus.  A few months later at the beginning of February, I was put on a medical leave.  Since then I have been trying to find what my new normal is.  I have an afternoon of energy and then weeks where I can hardly maintain a normal life.  (By that I mean daily hygiene, cooking meals, clean laundry and dishes, taking the dog for a walk, maintaining any sort of  outside communication with friends and family, etc.).  These are all things I used to take for granted.  The current task of my Mayo Clinic doctor is trying to mix the right cocktail of drugs to push my lupus towards remission.  My progress has been slower than expected or want – isn’t that always the case?

My sewing has been very sporadic, and blogging has fallen to the wayside.  If you aren’t sewing much, there really isn’t much to report.  I had even stopped looking at new fabric to purchase because I was feeling a bit mortal.  Why buy more, when I have more than enough in my stash to last my lifetime?!?  Can you tell I needed to make a modification for my mental health?

I have decided that I am going to try to spend 20 minutes a day sewing.  I still don’t feel the best, but at least I can be doing something I enjoy.  The hope is that I will get lost in the project and spend more time sewing.  I have a few too many WIPs happening and it is starting to bother me.  Can you tell I am trying to put my focus on other things than my health?  Sewing is very good therapy for me.  It definitely lifts my mood and makes me feel that I can accomplish something.

I started the cute little pattern that was included in the Bonnie and Camille Aurifil thread pack.   There are 7 matching spools of thread and a mini charm pack of Daysail.

IMG_3656

IMG_3635

A slight quilting fail…

IMG_3651 I have a start to putting the squares on the pinwheels.

IMG_3653

I have also made some progress on my Holly’s Tree Farm Jellybean Quilt.  The blocks are pinned together in pairs.  I will need to sew those together and then put the blocks in foursomes.

IMG_3655

I am getting tired of being sick and accepting my limitations.  I know I am getting better because I can actually think about the expectations of feeling more normal.  I think the goal of 20 minutes a day is do-able and is necessary therapy!

This entry was posted in Blogging, Mini Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to 20 minutes a day….

1. Linda Dutch says:

Sounds like an excellent plan! Your little mini quilt is going to look very pretty!

2. Lynn says:

That’s a great plan you have and it may be surprising just what can be achieved in 20 mins! I am gradually crossing off my 12 works in progress (2 down so far) and that can be a great boost too. All the best with your health.

3. So sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling but it sounds like you have the support of your docs which is great to hear. Love the blocks and your clever plan to sew. Spoonies of the world unite!

4. msminnesota says:

20 minutes a day is a good plan! Glad to see you’re sewing again. Hang in there, my friend!

5. Diane says:

So sorry to hear of your health issues. 20 minutes a day is great therapy – probably one of the best mood lifters around. And I hear you on the mindset of buying more fabric but I once read an interesting article about your stash. Some people spends thousand of dollars on art, even just for one painting or one sculpture. Think of your fabrics as art. They give visual pleasure looking at them, tactile pleasure touching them, mental stimulation even just thinking about them and envisioning them in a project. They can be formed into flat quilts or 3-D clothing articles, or stuffed pincushions or pillows, or into braided or woven baskets. And your fabrics are ever changing unlike that multi-thousand dollar static painting on a wall. Do not fret about money spent to improve your morale. Even if the energy is not there to produce, try to muster the energy to just enjoy and dream. Keep dabbling. Remission will come. I am sending you good thoughts and will place you among my blogs to follow. Hope to see other posts from you soon. Your pinwheels are happiness predictions. Just like your body, one of them in temporarily awry, but it and you are mendable. Let’s see you and your pinwheels grow and prosper! You might enjoy this post about a class I recently took. The instructor used quilting as his therapy.

6. Quiltmouse says:

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Health changes give us challenges to our ‘normal’ daily activities and as we work through them we learn what the new ‘normal’ is — and one that that normal may change again. It sounds like you’re making progress and making baby steps to continue. Keep up the good work!

7. Carol says:

That is a cute little quilt project. Quilting is such a mood lifter for me. Even if I am tired I find that if I just start, I lose track of time and enjoy myself. I hope you do too. 🙂

8. Janie Kemp says:

Thank you for taking the time to post. I enjoy seeing your projects and celebrate every WIP you complete. I think aiming for 20 minutes of sewing each day is a terrific idea; I will do that too.

9. Eva Leisure says:

Dear Gretchen, this sounds like a bad diagnosis but also like a lot of hope on your side.
    I think the 20 sewing fun minutes are a super great idea! And your recent project just looks nice 🙂

10. I love anything Bonnie and Camille. Hope you’re still able to sew 20 minutes a day. It’s been my go to therapy for my fibromyalgia.